Help me co-create my online
postnatal rebozo massage course
Bodywork is the most neglected element in helping mothers recover after birth
cMy name is Sophie Messager and I am on a mission to revolutionise the postpartum.
I published my book, Why postnatal recovery matters, in 2020 in order to start and support a movement towards returning to a nurturing postpartum. In my book I explain that a nurturing postpartum boils down to 4 pillars: social support, rest, food and bodywork.
Since publishing my book I have done further research and I have become acutely aware that bodywork seems to be the most “forgotten” part of the 4 elements of postpartum nurture. I have started working towards creating several online courses to rectify this. The first of these courses is the rebozo massage and closing ritual online course.
New mothers need this now more than ever and I want to encourage a return towards postnatal bodywork being the norm rather than the exception. I want to make the knowledge available to as many people as possible with the hope that postpartum bodywork and ritual become something to expect as part of postpartum recovery, as opposed to the exception.
I believe that by allowing more new mothers to experience this type of nurturing ritual, we will encourage a return towards it being the norm once more.
Read the blog post for more history behind why I am creating this course.
I am looking for a group of early adopters to help me develop this course.
Who is this course for?
- This course is for birthworkers, perinatal educators and therapists, and for anyone who support women and families during the postpartum.
What is the investment required?
- I am making the course available to early adopters for £69. This will help me to know that there is enough interest in creating this course and generate funds to pay for creating the course. If this is a stretch for you financially at the moment please talk to me. I am opened to payment plans and skill swaps. The final course will cost £119.
What do you get in return?
- Access to a Facebook group for the people joining me in this course design process so I can keep you up to date with the course progress and run some ideas past you.
- Hear about the course as I create it. You will get to give me feedback on what I create.
- Be the first get to access the course when it’s ready.
- Learn and practice an incredibly nurturing and healing postpartum bodywork ritual.
- Benefit from my experience and knowledge as an experienced closing the bones and rebozo practitioner and teacher, and as a scientist, antenatal educator, doula, healer and workshop facilitator.
- Be part of a group of pioneers helping to remodel the postnatal bodywork landscape towards one that is more supportive and nourishing for new mothers.
What does the course contains?
- Advantages of giving this ritual (physical/emotional/spiritual)
- Preparing (the person/the space)
- Rebozo Massage sequence (with text, picture, and video tutorials)
- Rebozo wrapping sequence (with text, picture, and video tutorials)
- Creating a ceremony/sacred space/adding ritual elements to the massage
- Post massage care (for recipient/yourself, including energetic aspects)
Creating ritual and sacred space is one of the most beautiful and important aspects of the rebozo massage. This is something I’ve been doing for over ten years but this will be the first time I’m teaching it. You will learn how to be attuned to your intuition to allow whatever needs to be expressed. This is a very creative and sacred process that adds so much to the experience for both you and the mother.
(please note that this is a draft plan and is likely to change as we co-create the course)
There will be the option to certify at the end of the course by submitting questionnaires and videos.
If you would like to to find out more about the thought process and history behind the creation of this course, read the Blog post about why I am creating this course here.
In the meantime, here is a little taster of what this massage ritual looks like.
If you’d like to join me in creating this course, just click on the link below
About the instructor
An experienced birth and postnatal doula and doula mentor, Sophie also holds a degree in antenatal education and spent 6 years teaching antenatal courses for the NCT. She is also a babywearing instructor and tutor, and a Reiki and Reiki Drum practitioner and Teacher. She has been facilitating various workshops for birthworkers since 2012. Prior to retraining to support new parents, she spent 20 years working as a biology research scientist and has a PhD in physiology of Reproduction. She brings a unique mix of science and traditions to her teaching. Sophie knows how to package and transmit information in a way that allows students to learn easily and enjoyably.